Monument record IPS 307 - Corner of Buttermarket and Queens Street, Ipswich, (IAS 3003).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 16266 44540 (21m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (0)
1957: Demolition of old Alliance building and the digging of foundations for a new building located Thetford ware pottery. Also sherds of Medieval and Post Medievel pottery as well as glass animal and human bones, Anglo-Saxon, mediaeval and later, and coin of James I (S1-S4)
James I, 1603 - 1625 coin. Found during the cleaning the foundations of the Old Alliance building in Cheapside (corner of Buttermarket & Queen St) Silver, skilling, o: Jacobus D.G. Mag. Biit. FRA ET Hib.Rex' (As on English coins. R: (Martlet) HEMRICUS. ROSAS. REGNA. JACOBUS. Crowned Haep Martlet Mint mark. 1957 Feb Retained by finder (S5).
- <S1> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 3003.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 3003.
- <S3> SSF55968 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and F. A. Aberg. 1957. Archaeology in Suffolk 1957.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1951.109?.
- <S5> SSF57815 Machine readable data file: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2017. Ipswich PMED Records Spreadsheet.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF24588: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF24589: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF24590: BOTTLE (Undated)
- FSF24591: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF24592: HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF24593: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF5406: COIN (17th century - 1603 AD? to 1625 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 25 2021 11:01AM