Monument record WLN 001 - Cropmark enclosure and associated features of uncertain date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 468 670 (227m by 208m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- SQUARE ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Post Roman - 410 AD to 1900 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Post Roman - 410 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Post Roman - 410 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIT (Post Roman - 410 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- PIT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD?)
Small rectangular enclosure etc, on S facing promontory (S2). Seen in 1978 on APs approx 30m square (S6).
November 1992: replotted.
January 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of a rectangular enclosure and associated ditches and a trackway of unknown date are visible on aerial photographs (S1, S3-S4). The date of the enclosure and associated features is uncertain, although a Saxon to post medieval date could be speculated, based on the shared alignment with the surrounding field boundaries. An evaluation in this field revealed evidence for ditches of uncertain fate (WLN 051).
The cropmarks of a number of pit-like features and/or sub-rectangular sunken areas are visible within the northern part of the site, some of which may site within a second rectilinear enclosure. See WLN 064 for a possible ring ditch on the eastern edge of the site. Only the more convincing of these possible pits were included within the mapping. While these may be contemporary with the cropmarks, it must also be noted that this field was the location of World War Two site (WLN 037) and therefore some features may date to this period.
A group of regularly arranged pits within the northern part of the site were dismissed as military or agricultural. Possible additional faint cropmarks may be visible on (S5), however these were not used during the mapping due to the uncertainty of the significance of the features.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 02nd January 2015.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ASJ99, 1967.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP ASJ 99.
- <S2> SSF18208 (No record type): SAU (West S E), undated.
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/0598 V 0110-0111 06-JUL-1970 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service CUCAP ASJ99 XX-XXX-1969 (Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/AC165 V 5074 04-JAN-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S6> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 4 2018 12:59PM