Monument record DAR 003 - Fairfields Estate (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4219 6997 (154m by 138m)|
|Civil Parish||DARSHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1968: material found in a pit about 3 feet deep by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) when laying a drain on a building site NE of the church. Roofing tiles. Pottery, including one grey pot intact except for hole in the base (height: 4 ins, diameter 4.75 ins), fragments of Samian, a frilled rim. Lava quern fragments. Possible site of villa. The Misses B and R Copinger Hill inspected the site, but could see no trace of a building.
October 1993: report from builders (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) via Mr Barker (ex policeman) of discoveries during building of estate in early 1970s? (1968?) - traces of large Roman villa in all footing trenches all over estate including `columns' (pilae?) underground and `mosaic flooring'. Discoveries `kept quiet' & filled in as quickly as possible. Also sandy layers of soil, including dark `burnt' levels said to have been found recently while digging area for patio in garden of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S2).
Note: also Roman tegula from DAR 016 to south.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 968-70, 1968.
- <S2> SSF1148 (No record type): Barker R per SAU (Pendleton C), October 1993.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 31, 1968.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 15-MAY-74.
- <S6> SSF60034 Personal Correspondence: Various. Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comment. Mr Knight (builder) Wenhaston.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 27 2021 4:12PM