Monument record EDN 006 - Sherbourne Street Pit

Please read our .

Summary

`Boxford Hoard' consisting of 9 socketed axes, 1 spearhead, 4 pieces of rough copper found in a gravel pit in 1927.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9570 4063 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)
Map sheet TL94SE
Civil Parish EDWARDSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

`Boxford Hoard' consisting of 9 (or 10, see below) socketed axes (7 plain?), 1 spearhead, 4 pieces of rough copper (S1) found in a gravel pit in 1927 (S2). In 1951 the hoard was in Ipswich Museum, apparently on loan (ref 1932- 216) but the OS notes that the owner had refused to divulge the find spot (S1); it appears that the gravel pit was leased by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) and that the landowner was disputing the ownership of finds from the pit and therefore (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) refused to confirm the find-spot (S3). By the 1960s the hoard had been removed from the museum and was in the possession of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), though the museum has slides and photographs; the museum card of this period states that the hoard came from the gravel pit (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S2).
(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) interviewed one of the last surviving workmen at the Whitestreet Green pit, Mr R Fletcher of 8 Ash St, Boxford, who stated that the bronze hoard did not come from the same pit as the Belgic cemetery, but from another pit leased by Mr Ellinger called Sherbourne Street Pit or Daking's Pit in Edwardstone, close to Boxford village (S4).
Quarry is now disused. see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), who stated that the bronze hoard did not come from the same pit as the (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)).
Originally listed as BXF Misc.
Another small, complete, plain socketed axe, probably from same hoard, certainly from same pit, was in possession of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in 1930s. Present location unknown, but not one of axes loaned to Ipswich (S5).
Mapped findspot moved on HER map (Jan 2007) to correspond with location of pit mapped in 1920s by OS.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <S1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL 94 SE4, 1951.
  • <R1> Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, L F Chitty card index, 1932?.
  • <R2> Photograph: Photograph. IPSMG, slides & photographs.
  • <S2> Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card loan 1932-216, 1932.
  • <S3> (No record type): Owles E and Smedley N, Two Belgic cemeteries at Boxford, PS1A, 31, 1967, (1), 97.
  • <S4> (No record type): Jarman, K.. Jarmin K W, per J J Wymer, 1986.
  • <S5> (No record type): Jarman, K.. Jarmin K W, per SAU (Pendleton C), November 1995.

Finds (4)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 12 2010 4:11PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.