Monument record THS 006 - Church of St Peter
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9291 6527 (105m by 83m)|
|Civil Parish||THURSTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Thurston Church lies within the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and the deanery of Ixworth. Status: vicarage (S1). The structure of the church is: chancel, nave, N aisle, S aisle, S porch, W tower (S2).
The pre 1861 church had the same structure. The chancel was Perpendicular. The nave was Decorated. The font was a Decorated stone octagon. The nave roof was of king-post type. The W tower was Decorated, of 4 storeys, with an embattled parapet (S2).
The church was virtually rebuilt in 1861 (S2) when the tower fell in and destroyed the church (S1). The post 1861 church is mostly by E C Hakewill, who rebuilt it in 1861-1862. The Perpendicular arcade and the Perpendicular chancel do, however, seem to be original (S2). Church and churchyard said to be in elevated position on spur, circa 12 feet above surroundings.
- <S1> SSF20785 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk parishes, a guide to their archaeology and history, 1984-1985, manuscript..
- <S2> SSF18975 (No record type): SAU, Atkinson R G, Summary of documentary sources for churches in Suffolk, 1986, manuscript.
- <S3> SSF3120 (No record type): Cantley H M, Suffolk Churches, 1937, 358.
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 354, (ill).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 18 1993 12:00AM