Monument record TCK 003 - Church of St Andrew
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9605 6362 (86m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||TOSTOCK, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Tostock Church lies within the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury and the deanery of Ixworth. Status: rectory. (S1) The structure is: chancel, nave, N aisle, S aisle, S porch, W tower. (S2) The chancel is late C13. The E window is early Decorated. The side windows are late square-headed Perpendicular. There are fragments of late C15 glass in the E window. The nave is Perpendicular. The nave roof is late C15 and consists of arch-braced principals alternating with double hammer beams. The font is a C14 stone octagon in the Decorated style. The nave benches have fine carvings and good grotesques. The N and S aisles are Perpendicular. The S porch is early C15 and in the Decorated style.
In 1849 the whole interior of the church was repaired and re-seated with open benches. In 1872 the nave, the tower and the porch were thoroughly restored. In 1889 the chancel was restored and a new roof erected. (S2)
- <S1> SSF20784 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk parishes, a guide to their archaeology and history, 1984-1985, manuscript.
- <S2> SSF18975 (No record type): SAU, Atkinson R G, Summary of documentary sources for churches in Suffolk, 1986, manuscript.
- <S3> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 358, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 23 1986 12:00AM