Monument record RNM 001 - River Alde
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 353 638 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||RENDHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze head of Claudius circa 12 inches high, larger than life - from equestrian statue? Possibly loot from Claudian temple at Colchester? Original in the British Museum, cast in Ipswich Museum.
Description of the finding of the head by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) as a boy in 1907 given to the EADT, when he was then 72 years old (S1)(R3). According to (S2) found in Spring of 1907 by `a youth named (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) on the banks of the river Alde, at Rendham... on the estate belonging to (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)'. Suggests preserved by being in mud or river - was it found in dredgings? Also adds `The Aldeburgh Literary Society intends to investigate the site? (S2).
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 1 42,143; XCVI, 204,206.
- <R1> SSF707 (No record type): Archaeologia, circa 1909.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 13, (2), 1908-9, 225-6, and (3), 367-8, ill and 1955, 27, pg44.
- <R2> SSF9811 (No record type): IPSMG, letter & sketch map by Mr A Godball, 1936?.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1936-84, 1936.
- <R3> SSF5529 (No record type): EADT.
- <R4> SSF10648 (No record type): MacDonald, G.. MacDonald Sir G, JRS, 16, 1926, 3-7, pls 2-3.
- <S4> SSF22231 (No record type): Toynbee J M C, Art in Roman Britain, 1962, 123, plate 7.
- <S4> SSF59764 Source Checked: Natural England. Sandy Lane Pit SSI.
- <R5> SSF3164 (No record type): Catalogue of an Exhibition of Romano-British Antiquities in the Castle Museum, Colchester, July 1950.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 225-6, 367 13 - 1907-9 (C Ganz).
- <R6> SSF22242 (No record type): Trans Essex Archaeol Soc, 25, 1955, 10-12, pl 2.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 JRL 27-MAR-73.
- FSF19958: STATUE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 24 2021 4:11PM