Find Spot record BTM 004 - Chalk Hill Round Barrow, Barton Mills, (Mesolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7087 7215 (19m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||BARTON MILLS, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Microlith found with burial (S1). Marked on 1st edition OS map, circa 1836 (S3).
Also two tranchet axes from this approximate area, (S6)
See also Bronze Age Record.
- <S1> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 253.
- <S2> SSF37108 Scheduling record: Department of the Environment. Chalk Hill Round Barrow, Barton Mills. SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. c.1836.
- <S4> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 708 721 / JEF 9-10, 24 July 1992.
- <S5> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 882.
- <S6> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11255, 11316, 11312, 11547.
- <S7> SSF3526 Bibliographic reference: Clark J G D. 1932. The Mesolithic Age in Britain. Clark J G D, The Mesolithic Age in Britain, 1932, 108 fig C.
- <S8> SSF3343 Article in serial: Cawdor and Fox. 1925. THE BEACON HILL BARROW, BARTON MILLS, THE BEACON HILL BARROW, BARTON MILLS, SUFFOLK. Cawdor and Fox, PCAS, 26, 1925, 19-65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Chalk Hill Round Barrow, Barton Mills, (Ref: Cawdor & Fox) (ESF14952)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit, Chalk Hill Round Barrow, Barton Mills, (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13401)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit, Chalk Hill Round Barrow, Barton Mills, (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF12198)
Record last edited
Jul 17 2020 4:30PM