Monument record LCS 143 - Medieval town of Leiston.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4448 6248 (624m by 497m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Medieval town of Leiston, recorded as having grant of market (and fair) in 1312 (Fridays) and 1391 (Tuesdays) - out of use by 17th century (S1). To east, and separate from, church (LCS 018), Hall and 'The Great House' (Hodskinson). Formed as square arrangement of roads extending to S and E.
HER mapping approximate after Hodskinson's (1783) and OS 1st edition (1837) mapping.
Further details and documentary research needed.
Also note former coastal township of Sizewell in parish - see LCS 170.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 22 2018 11:48AM