Monument record LKH 021 - Undley Common (Roman)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6996 8062 (81m by 112m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
(TL 69958064). Roman tiles, bricks, oyster shells, iron debris and many sherds, including Samian, were found after
ploughing on Undley Common in 1950. In 1955 a skeleton with a sherd of Samian ware, which is now in Mildenhall Museum, was discovered (at TL 69978058) to the south of the site which may well represent a substantial building. C S Leaf reported a possible villa at TL 701805, probably part of a complex. (S1,S2)
There are no surface indications of this site. (S3)
Nothing visible on OS or RAF air photographs. (S4)
TL 700 806 Enamelled disc broach of bronze. (S5)
See also Iron Age and Post Medieval Records
Bone or antler pin found whilst metal detecting in January 2001. Highly polished and very smooth. Details in (S7).
Reputed by [the late] John King to be small Rom site, only probably representative of single Rom building, with relatively wide scatter surrounding (including Nursery plantation)(S8).
- <S1b> SSF11212 Map: Mildenhall Musem. 1950. MIHLM, 6 inch record map, 1950 entry. MIHLM, 6 inch record map, 1956.
- <S1a> SSF59881 Map: Mildenhall Musem. 1956. MIHLM, 6 inch record map, 1956 entry. MIHLM, 6 inch record map, 1950.
- <Sx2> SSF10265 Personal Correspondence: King, J.. 1988. King J, September 1988. King J, September 1988.
- <S2> SSF16364 Bibliographic reference: Phillips C W. 1970. The Fenland in Roman Times.
- <S3> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 BHS 21-JAN-74.
- <S4a> SSF13055 Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1971. OS, AP, 71/216/148, 1971.
- <S4b> SSF59883 Photograph: RAF. RAF CPE/UK/1801 4193-4 25 10 46.
- <S5> SSF59882 Bibliographic reference: CBA. 1976. Council for British Archaeology Group 7: Bulletin of archaeological discoveries.
- <S6> SSF59825 Bibliographic reference: Scott, E. 1993. A gazetteer of Roman villas in Britain.
- <S7> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. Harvey, J., per Geake, H., SCCAS. sf601/4812. Jan 2001..
- <S8> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL68SE4.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2020 11:21AM