Monument record BUN 044 - Section of Inner bailey wall, New Visitors Centre, Bungay Castle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 33555 89760 (17m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Excavation in advance of new visitor centre at Bungay Castle (BUN 004) was kept to a minimum in accordance with the SAM consent. Excavation for the new path exposed the continuation of the inner bailey wall across the 1.5m trench, less than 0.3m below ground surface. The wall measured 1.45m in width and was faced on both sides. The inner bailey wall was substantially intact in this location but there is a strong suggestion that robbing of the castle stonework may have continued into 19th century due to presence of post-medieval finds (S1).
- <S1> SSF58509 Unpublished document: Loader, T.. 2001. Archaeological excavation and monitoring in association with the new Visitors' Centre, Bungay Castle.
- FSF31713: POTTERY (17th century to 20th century - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF31714: PIPE (SMOKING) (18th century to 19th century - 1750 AD to 1800 AD)
- FSF31715: PANTILE (18th century to 20th century - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF31716: BOTTLE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF47241: POTTERY (14th century to 15th century - 1300 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF47242: POTTERY (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF47243: PEG TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF47244: ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD? to 2050 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2018 11:56AM