Monument record LKH 254 - Lakenheath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 713 828 (991m by 1450m)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Lakenheath, recorded as a town from circa 1100, a market was granted in 1201 and a further market and fair in 1309.
Area defined on HER map after Hodskinson's 1783 map and after Fenland Survey documentary research (E Martin, forthcoming), including St Mary's Church (LKH 112), Old Hall Yards, (old) Market Place (within Anchor Lane), Grange or Hall Yard, the area of 'The Quay' (for finds of mainly C16-C19 coins and cloth seals see LKH 181), Mutford & South Greens, Camping & Conygar Closes and the Clunch Pit (LKH 151).
Note group of Med sites outside defined town envelope but clearly closely related include windmill mound (LKH 129), causeway across Turf Fen to Undley (LKH 163), 'Maidscross' site (LKH 043); prolific artefact scatters including, to the south-west LKH 057 & a possible fair site (LKH 130); to the south LKH 103; to the east LKH 188 & LKH 180 ('Fifty field'); and to the north LKH 176-179, LKH 087 & LKH 027.
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 13 2020 5:02PM