Monument record HWT 026 - New Reach; Blyth Navigation; Patrick Stead Lock; Halesworth Lock
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3892 7741 (612m by 658m)|
|Civil Parish||HALESWORTH, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
The New Reach, canalised end of Blyth Navigation, from former lock (now footbridge) at TM 39417706, ending at new quay complex (including malthouses etc on 1880s OS map) at TM 38867758, Halesworth. Built in 1761?. Used by sailing wherries (S1). The remains of the Patrick Stead lock (now in a derelict state) form the southern boundary of the 'urban quay area' [at TM 38857759?] and was constructed in 1837 to get wherries from the Blyth Navigation back into the Town River to give direct access to Styead's Maltings (S2). The only surviving significant feature [also the canal itself?] of the original Blyth Navigation is the Haleswoth Lock [at TM 39417706] (S2).
For details of DBA (2006), buildings etc see (S3).
- <S1> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Robertson A, 'Rivers and Navigations', 1999, 130-131.
- <S2> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Woolnough R, to County Archaeologist, 24/10/2005.
- <S3> SSF50015 Unpublished document: Chapman, H. P., Gearey, B. R., and Krawiec, K.. 2006. Assessment report: Excavations of a brushwood trackway and causeway. Compartmen 26, Beccles Marshes. Penn K (NAU Archaeology), Rep 1194, July 2006, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2010 5:13PM