Monument record CUL 054 - Possible Rabbit Warren, Culford
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 85 75 (181m by 154m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Rabbit Warren documented before 1650 (S1) location unknown. Possibly the same as Wordwell Warren?
2010: The Breckland Society survey of The Warrens of Breckland identified evidence for a warren in Culford dating from 1435, the Lease states that the Abbot of Bury held 4 acres here which were called "le conyngger". The area surrounding the present farm buildings is of 4.3 acres - roughly equivalent to the 4 acres held by the Abbot. Six warreners were employed by Culford Estate in 1891 but there is no mention of a specific warren in the archive (S2).
Mapped in approximate location.
See CUL 036 for possible site of Warrener's Lodge.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 12:04PM