Monument record BRC 010 - Possible Post Medieval deer park.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 904 579 (1600m by 1704m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRADFIELD COMBUST WITH STANNINGFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||BRADFIELD ST CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Deer Park, first recorded in 1555 (S3)(S5)(R1).
Possible Deer Park suggested by field names 'Lodge Ley park', 'Park field', 'Park Meadow' and 'Lodge Ley Spinney' on Bradfield Tithes. Presumably related to 'The Lodge' (BSC 016). HBSMR mapping (which is only a guesstimate) follows curving boundaries shown on OS 1880s mapping excluding area of St Clares Church (BSC 006) and nearby moated site (BSC 002). May not extend to NE beyond the road (Bury Road) - Hodskinson in 1783 (S4) only shows buildings on the NE side of this road, though this would place the lodge to one side of the deer park, rather than a more normal central position.
- <R1> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Will Register, IC500/2/25 fol.82v-83, SRO (Bury), 1555.
- <S1> SSF56695 Map: 1843. Bradfield St Clare Tithe Map.
- <S2> SSF22215 Map: 1838. Bradfield Combust Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <S3> SSF50165 Bibliographic reference: Hoppitt, R.. 1999. 'Deer Parks 1086-c.1602', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk. p. 66-67.
- <S4> SSF50065 Map: J Hodskinson. 1783. The County of Suffolk Surveyed.
- <S5> SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA). p.70.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 16 2018 2:20PM