Monument record TUN 024 - Snape Maltings
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3924 5747 (190m by 268m)|
|Civil Parish||SNAPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||TUNSTALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- MALTINGS (19th century - 1846 AD to 1881 AD)
- DOCK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- WHARF (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- SAW PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- CRANE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- MALT KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
Extensive range of maltings (some Listed, Gd II) built between 1846 & 1881 at tidal head of Alde. Former rail-link to Saxmundham (see TUN 026). For extent and mapping of associated structures see early OS maps. For historical and buildings survey see S2 and S3.
Closed as maltings in 1965 (S2).
Largest malting was opened as concert hall in 1969.
- <S1> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). 153, map.
- <S2> SSF50237 Unpublished document: Historic Building Recording. Essex CC, 'Snape Maltings, Tunstall, Suffolk', Oct 2005, ill.
- <S3> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. Volume 115, November 2011, plus email from John Jones, March 2012..
- <S4> SSF54514 Unpublished document: Patrick, A. 2005. The Maltings, Sanpe, Near Saxmundham, Suffolk: Historic Buildings Report.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2013 5:06PM