Monument record BSC 001 - St Clare Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9200 5771 (101m by 93m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRADFIELD ST CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat of quadrangular form, but mutilated on the W side, is at St Clare's Hall (S1).
An ancient moated structure formerly used as a grange of Bury St Edmunds Abbey (R1).
St Clare Hall is C16 timber-framed and in poor repair. It has lost most of its architectural character (R2).
A waterfilled homestead moat surrounds St Clare Hall which, although now in good repair, is basically as described by the DOE and not outstanding. The moat measures overall about 70m E to W x 65m N to S with arms averaging circa 7m wide. It is complete but for a portion of the W arm. No trace of an earlier structure within the enclosed area, 1973 (S4).
Isolated 520m from parish boundary, 1000m from church (S5).
The present building has 3 distinct phases of construction from the C14 to the C17 and is great historic interest. The rear wing to the east is mid C14 & retains 2 fine crown posts and appears to represent a manorial court hall of exceptional rarity and historic importance (precis). Details in (S6).
1066/86 Manor of Bradfield belonged to Abbot of St Edmunds. 3 carucates valued at £8. Ancient lords of St Clare or De Sancto Claro.
1207 G. de St Clare, seat said to be situated in a noble park. Manor held of the Abbot of St Edmunds by service of 1 1/2 knights fees.
1337 passes by inheritance to W. de Montchensey.
1493 J. Jerveys owns.
1552 linked to RBK and RGH, Davers family.(S7)
- <M1> SSF40401 (No record type): Moats file: OS 1:2500 maplet.
- <S1> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Atfield R, SCCAS 2006/010.
- <R1> SSF5120 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Little Guide to Suffolk, 1957, 79.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 605.
- <S2> SSF15195 (No record type): OS, map 1:10560, 1959.
- <M2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. AP: NMR 13355/8.
- <R2> SSF5263 (No record type): DOE,(HHR), Thingoe Rural District Suffolk, April 1951, 10.
- <S3> SSF15176 (No record type): OS, map 1:10000, 1979.
- <R3> SSF23130 (No record type): White, Directory, 1855.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM95NW8, 1976.
- <S5> SSF20929 (No record type): SAU, West S E, undated.
- <S6> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. Alston L A, St Clare Hall, Bradfield St Clare, Suffolk: Outline Survey of Historic Fabric, Sept 2005.
- <S7> SSF59015 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Bradfield St Clare..
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring - St Clare Hall, Bradfield St Clare (Ref: OASIS-johnnewm-360182) (ESF26797)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (JRL FI) (Ref: OS (JRL FI)) (ESF12562)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 1:10560 (Ref: OS 1:10560) (ESF14337)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 25 inch (Ref: OS 25 inch) (ESF14695)
Record last edited
Jul 29 2019 1:35PM