Monument record BSE 292 - 15-17 Eastgate Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8587 6449 (33m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
April-May 2007: documentary and excavated evidence for a tanning site of Medieval to post-medieval date found prior to housing development. The site lies just outside the Eastgate of the Medieval town and adjoins the River Lark (to the west). A single trench was excavated which located at least 3 wells, walls and the remains of 5 clay-lined troughs interpreted as tanning pits. Supporting evidence included a large collection of animal horn cores, which are a waste product of tanning. At least one of the troughs is dated to the 17th century and an overall date of 16th to early seventeenth century is suggested. Documentary evidence (report by Breen in S1) confirms the presence of tanners in the area from medieval times, probably from at least 1433. Details in (S1).
Bury was certainly important as a tanning/leather preparation centre between 1500 & 1750 (S1, 13; S2).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2018 2:57PM