Monument record BEY 006 - Brook Farmhouse
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9399 6275 (50m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||BEYTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2007: The former granary was subject to a written and photographic record in 2007 prior to its demolition. The building, which measured 50 feet in length and 22 feet in width, was constructed of 8 courses of clay lump blocks resting on a plinth of red brick, with a slate roof. The principal elevations of the brick plinth each had 8 arches, which had been infilled during the late 20th century when the granary was converted to use as a barn. The arches would have ventilated a suspended internal timber floor, of which no trace remains. The granary dates to the 1820s/30s, and is likely to correspond to a structure shown on the Beyton tithe map of 1838 (S2).
2008: Monitoring of ground works at the moated, Grade II listed Brook Farmhouse (see BEY 001), Beyton recorded well-preserved archaeological deposits surviving on the moat platform. A yard surface and postholes associated with the 16th century extension to the original medieval house overlay a medieval garden soil. A boundary ditch dividing the platform, probably separating the garden from the house site produced 12-14th century pottery. Outside the moat, the footings of what was formerly one of the largest and most impressive farm granaries in the region, of the early 19th century, was excavated following earlier recording of the building when it was still standing (S1, S2). Also medieval field ditch and a yard surface and postholes dating to 17-18th century were recorded (S1).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 12 2017 2:35PM