Monument record EWL 018 - Elmswell Almhouses
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 9826 6361 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ELMSWELL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Almhouses shown on Ogilby's map, 1675 (S1)
See also EWL 004
(TL 98276361) Almshouses (NR). (S2)
A single storied red brick building. A stone in a central brick gable records that it was founded by Sir Robert Gardner in 1614 for sick poor widows. Grade II. (S3)
As described and still occupied. (S4)
- <S1> SSF50161 Cartographic materials: John Ogilby. 1675. John Ogilby's Travellers Guide. Map.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1958.
- <S3> SSF59814 Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) Thedwastre RD suff 1951 7.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 24-FEB-71.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 12:48PM