Monument record LMD 183 - Long Melford
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8660 4625 (952m by 2806m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Medieval town of Long Melford, defined from historic maps and locations of listed buildings.
1235, Grant for fair and weekly market to the Abbot of St Edmunds (S1, S2).
After Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S3).
Test pitting identified a few sherds of medieval pottery (S4).
- <S1> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Medieval and Later Markets', 76-7.
- <S2> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History.
- <S3> SSF50156 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson. Hodskinson map, 1783.
- <S4> SSF54972 Unpublished document: Blinkhorn P. 2012-13. Pottery from Test Pitting.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2013 11:25AM