Monument record BSM 054 - Bures St Mary

Please read our .

Summary

Indicative area of Medieval town of Bures St Mary.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9068 3409 (330m by 403m)
Map sheet TL93SW
Civil Parish BURES ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Medieval town of Bures St Mary, defined from historic maps and locations of listed buildings.
1270/1, charter for market and fair granted to Robert Agvillon (S1, S2).
After Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S3).
2012: Test pitting identified pottery dating from the medieval and post-medieval periods (S4).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Medieval and Later Markets', 76-7.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History.
  • <S3> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson. Hodskinson map, 1783.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Blinkhorn P. 2012. Pottery, Test Pitting, Bures St Mary, 2012.

Finds (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 23 2013 11:23AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.