Monument record BSE 266 - 65 Guildhall street Saracen's Head Breweries
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8525 6382 (32m by 25m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Brewery located on Guildhall Street in Bury St Edmunds. Was also called great social club.(S1)
The brewery was found on the 1880's OS map (S2)
Could be linked to the Golden Lion Brewery. The Golden Lion public house was already trading by the end of the 18th century and was granted a full licence in 1857. A number of buildings, including a brewery, malthouse and engine house, were built on an adjacent plot of land in the late 1800s, forming the Golden Lion Brewery. Brewing appears to have finished in 1896, when the pub was sold to the rival Bishop's Brewery.
The buildings were taken over by the Warren family and used as business premises, although they are now derelict. The former site of the Golden Lion pub is now occupied by housing.
The brewery advertised in the Bury Free Press 13/02/1897. 1730 used for trading.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2011 11:33AM