Farmstead record CNW 016 - Outfarm: Barningham Barn
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9485 7814 (51m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||CONEY WESTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Timber framed and weather boarded barn of four equal bays. Extends a length of 50 Ft by 21 Ft 9 inches. Its sill beams rest on plinths of flint and red brick that rise 3 ft 6 inches from the floor. Corrugated iron roof. Timbers in the northern part of the barn have been used from an earlier 17th C structure. The relatively steep pitch of the roof suggests that it was originally designed for thatch.
The original timber frame is substantially in tact, with all 6 tie-beam braces in situ (such braces usually removed at later dates to accommodate modern grain bins and other equipment.)
The barn is unusually in tact for a structure of its type and period and can be dated to the enclosure of the surrounding sheepwalk in 1798.The structure consists largely of pine, with features such as jowled story posts and tenoned tie-beam braces in the medieval tradition (S1).
Barningham Barn, Coney Weston. 18th century outfarm with converted buildings. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50642 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2007. Archaeological Record: Barningham Barn, Wisteria House, Coney Weston, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S6> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S7> SSF59228 Map: 1845. Coney Weston Tithe Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 11 2019 3:22PM