Farmstead record HXN 075 - Farmstead: Chestnut Tree Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1940 7516 (86m by 94m)|
|Civil Parish||HOXNE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- HOUSE (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- BARN (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- GRANARY (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Farm occupies apparently moated site. Grade II listed, timber-framed 16th/ 17th C farmhouse with contemporary timber-framed barn.
Barn: 3 bays, aligned on an east-west axis, originally containing a central entrance facing the farmhouse to the north. It has an unusual rear door at the eastern end of its southern elevation. The structures timber framed walls are largely in tact as are both arched-braced tie-beams and brick threshing floor. However, the Queen post roof was replaced in the 19th C. The barn was extended by one bay in the 19th C.
Other farm buildings include brick sheds and neathouses, though many of these have become derelict, as has the house, despite its listing.
Chestnut Tree Farm, Hoxne. 16th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <1> SSF50678 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2008. Archaeological Record: Chestnut Tree Farm, Hoxne, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF7647 Map: 1840. Hoxne Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 2:18PM