Farmstead record SBK 036 - Farmstead: White House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2293 7459 (181m by 153m)|
|Civil Parish||STRADBROKE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
At the time of inspection, only the main barn survived. It is a timber-framed and weatherboarded structure of the 19th C, representing the reconstruction of an earlier 16th or 17th C barn. It extends an impressive 28.2m in length by 6.2m in width and is of considerable historic interest. The design was originally for two buildings: a barn and stable, as shown on the Tithe map of 1840. The 2 buildings were amalgamated by raising the height of the stable to match that of the barn. Other than this it remains largely unaltered with its original framing in-tact. It is a rare survival with evidence of original doors and diamond mullioned windows (S1).
White House, Stradbroke. 19th century farmstead and farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50690 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2008. Archaeological Record: Barn at White House, Stradbroke, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59996 Map: 1840. Stradbroke Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2021 1:12PM