Farmstead record WCB 065 - Farmstead: Green Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1237 6446 (120m by 78m)|
|Civil Parish||WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
The Farmhouse is unlisted and is a rendered brick structure dating to the 18th C and bearing the date 1779.
The OS amp of 1885 and 1904, which included a large barn, horse yard and open sided shelter-shed, only a clay lump stable now survives. It is pantiled and incorporates part of a 18th/19th C flint shed. The interior has been stripped of fixtures and fittings to insert a number of block work stalls for pigs in the 20th C. part of the loft has also been removed. Apart from this, the building remains largely unaltered and is of considerable historic interest. Of particular importance is the unusual array of circular apotropaic circles incised on the internal walls near the loft windows and loading door. A series of clay drainage pipes penetrating the rear wall - presumably designed to ventilate the hay rack- may be unique survivals. Despite all of this, the building fails to meet English Heritage criteria for listing.
A much altered and partly demolished range of cattle sheds to the N, dated c. 1920 is not of any historic significance (S1).
Green Farm, Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford. 19th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings, with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50712 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2010. Historic Building Record: Green Farm, Wetheringsett, Suffolk,.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF60025 Map: 1841. Wetheringsett cum Brockford Tithe Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 12 2021 12:42PM