Building record HAD 033 - The Guildhall, Hadleigh (15th C)

Please read our .

Summary

Guildhall dating back to the 15th C with various later additions and alterations.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0260 4239 (34m by 54m)
Map sheet TM04SW
Civil Parish HADLEIGH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

two ranges date to the 15th C as does the stair block in the re-entrant angle. The surviving structure was formally free standing, three stories high and jettied to the N, S and has been substantially altered to the E.
By the end of the 18th C, the second floor of the East end had been removed and the building had been extended through the addition of a polygonal brick structure. The jetty was under-built in brick in 1792.

the upper floors and W end were used for gatherings, and retain high status windows (Oriel and wooden tracery), whilst the ground floors and the E were used for commercial purposes

recent restorations in the 1950s and in 1980, where some timbers appear to have been replaced.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: English Heritage. The Guildhall, Hadleigh. Historic Building Report..

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 28 2020 5:04PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.