Farmstead record YAX 021 - Farmstead: White House Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1238 7450 (130m by 99m)|
|Civil Parish||YAXLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- HOUSE (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- BARN (17th century to IPS: Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
- STABLE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- CART SHED (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
White House Farm displays the changing nature of farm life over approximately 400 years. The Farmhouse dates to the late 16th/early 17th C and is listed at Grade II. There are 2 threshing barns on site dating to the 17th C, though the roofs above the tie-beam were re-built in the 20th C and the E and W wings of the northernmost barn were re-built at the same time. The 18th C stable is a substantial timber-framed structure. Some alterations were made to the W elevation in the 20th C, but otherwise the structure remains whole.
Brick and pantiled cart sheds found to the W and far W of the site also date to the 18th C. A multi bayed and open fronted range of cattle stalls, enclosed stables and bull pen - all typical of the 19th C are also present (S1).
White House Farm, Yaxley. 17th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard E-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings, with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a village (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF53561 Unpublished document: Belton, B.. 2010. Historical Appraisal: White House Farm, Yaxley, Suffolk. Building Recording.
- <S2> SSF54472 Unpublished document: Finnemore, M and Whiting, C. 2009. Cartsheds, White House Farm, Yaxley: Initial Site Appraisal.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF60046 Map: 1842. Yaxley Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 11 2021 9:51AM