Monument record FKM 001 - Hercules Went (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9060 7723 (198m by 290m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FAKENHAM MAGNA, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
This is a multi period settlement site reported by Kenneth Landymore to Basil Brown in August 1946, when pottery was found by workmen digging for gravel in Allen Newport Ltd's pit on the field known as Hercules Went. During excavation over 200 hut sites, many with hearths or fire holes, were discovered and what were first thought to be ditches were later described as "sunken paths". The site extends along a gravel terrace overlooking a length of the River Black Bourne called Broad Water. The later excavations revealed a "wharf" which stood on ground bordered by channels from the river. Many artefacts from Paleolithic period to Anglo-Saxon period. The site was worked until 1951 when the gravel ran out and the pit was abandoned. Basil Brown was unable to excavate fully as the gravel was being dug out daily and he conducted a salvage operation very often only able to collect artefacts from the revealed surface beneath the topsoil before the area was demolished so stratification was often impossible. No post holes were found but the area was covered in soft clay patches. The two huts that were fully excavated were rectangular in shape but the others were not able to be defined (S1). Aerial photographs taken 30.5.80 showed pits, ditches, sunken featured buildings?, gravel test pits as cropmarks extending across Hercules Went and into surrounding fields NW of the site excavated by Basil Brown - see Fakenham Magna FKM 015 (S3).
Basil Brown reports that many of the "hut sites" contained evidence of Iron Age occupation which included hearths and artefacts.
The loom weight was triangular and showed evidence of burning. The Republican silver coin, a denarius, depicts the head of Roma and was dated 286 BC.
The pre-Conquest pottery consisted of a terra nigra platter of Camulodunum 16 in dark, coarse grey ware circa AD 50 - 70. No parallels. It was stamped and reads IINO, ENO or ONE. (Information from Miss Rigby, MPBW 1969). Some Belgic pottery was found in association with a hearth or "fire hole". A "frilled and fluted" sherd was found north of the excavation area in a trial hole dug by Allen Newport Ltd, in a search for gravel before the pit in Hercules Went was abandoned. (S2)
- <R1> SSF50034 Bibliographic reference: Antiquaries Journal. Antiq J, 48, 1968, 189 fig. 72.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map SAU ref. no. 11, vols I, VIII, X, XI, LIII, LXVII, LXX, LXXXIX, XCI, XCVI, XCVII, XCVII.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: map, volumes, card index.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map SAU ref. no. 11, index cards 121-23, vol VIII 95-97,100, 103,107,116,117, vol X 21,23,.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP: SAU ALD 11-15.
- <S3> SSF18596 Oblique Aerial Photograph: SAU. 1980. ALD 11-15,. SAU, AP ALD 11-15, 1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2020 1:41PM