Find Spot record IPS 580 - Cardinal Street, Ipswich, (IAS 5002).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1603 4427 (209m by 111m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1929: Moulded brick fragment found.
1964: Two human skeletons found 6 feet down, presumably connected to the Greyfriars monastery. Also clay draughts counter found with numerous skeletons during building operations on site at Greyfriars monastery (S1, S2).
See also (S3).
See also (S4).
See also (S5): Foundations of Greyfriars Monastery visible in trench for construction of multistorey block. In south of trench the wall was 2 feet 6 inches thick constructed of large flints and septaria. To the east of this a mortar floor 9 inches thick was visible for 3 feet. A similar section was exposed in the north face. Various human skeletons were also found. (Taylor Woodrow Construction Co. Ltd. and I.M.).
- <S1> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 5002.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 5002.
- <S3> SSF56120 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1964. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1964. XXX.1, pp. 116–123..
- <S4> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1929-108, 964-100, 1964-46.
- <S5> SSF57788 Article in serial: Owles, E. & Smedley, N.. 1965. Archaeology in Suffolk, PSIAH, Volume XXX Part 2, 1965.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 24 2017 4:18PM