Farmstead record FLN 089 - Farmstead: Retreat Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3260 8531 (161m by 187m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1825 AD)
- STABLE (19th century to Unknown - 1860 AD)
- GRANARY (19th century to Unknown - 1860 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century to Unknown - 1860 AD)
- CART SHED (19th century to Unknown - 1860 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Retreat Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular E-plan with additional attached ranges. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact with modern sheds on the side.
A historic building record was made of farm buildings at Retreat Farm in advance of proposals for conversion. The red-brick yard complex dates from the mid 19th century, and its layout and appearance reflects the agricultural revolution of the 1850s and 60s. The complex includes a granary of typical East Anglian form, an earlier 19th century thatched barn of 5 bays, and a single-storied stable. The stable contains many original features, together with a complete set of 19th century painted name plates above the stable doors, and an incised drawing of a horse. Despite the historic interest of the complex, the buildings were not sufficient completeness or rarity to merit listing in their own right (S1 & S2)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF53774 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2010. Historic Building Record: Farm Buildings at Retreat Farm, Flixton, Suffolk..
- <S2> SSF55288 Unpublished document: Maycock, T. 2002. Retreat Farm, Flixton.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2019 10:58AM