Farmstead record MWN 012 - Farmstead: Blackbarn Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2389 5834 (31m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||MONEWDEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- BARN (19th century - 1835 AD to 1840 AD)
- LOOSE BOX (19th century to Unknown - 1860 AD)
- SHED (19th century to Unknown - 1850 AD)
- SHED (20th century to Unknown - 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD F PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Blackbarn Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os Map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular F-plan pattern. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a loose farmstead cluster. There has been partial loss of buildings with the remaining no longer in use.
A historic building record was made of farm buildings at Blackbarn Farm in advance of proposals for conversion. The main glebe barn, a timber- framed and weatherboarded structure with 3 bays, was built shortly before 1840 and is relatively well preserved, and retains its original pantiled roof. A shed on the southern elevation is the sole surviving element of mid 19th century additions, and contains an internal partition consisting of re-used doors or 16th/17th century date. A shed to the north of the barn, containing three loose boxes for cattle, was added around 1900, at which time the main barn was probably converted into a store and mill for cattle feed. No structures were felt of sufficient age, rarity or architectural merit to warrant listing (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF53775 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2011. Historic Building Record: Farm Buildings at Blackbarn Farm, Monewden, Suffolk..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2019 11:21AM