Farmstead record PSM 035 - Farmstead: Manor Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9276 5068 (202m by 199m)|
|Civil Parish||PRESTON ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- FARMHOUSE (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
17th C timber-framed farmhouse which uses 15th/16th C timbers from earlier houses in the area, including those from a crown post roof structure. A number of alterations were made to this house during the 19th C including an extension. Also present at this site is a 17th C aisled, timber-framed 5 bay threshing barn which also re-uses earlier timbers, as well as a 19th C timber-framed and weatherboaarded threshing barn on a brick plinth. Although a number of alterations have been made to these barns, they still retain much of their original fabric. The rest of the farmyard mainly consists of 20th C strucutres, although a 19th C stable and shelter sheds were once also present at this site (S1).
Manor Farm, Preston St Mary. 17th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings, with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamlet (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54294 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2011. Historic Asset Assessment: Preston Manor, Preston St Mary, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF60060 Map: 1839. Preston St Mary Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2021 5:15PM