Monument record ADB 186 - Fort (Site of); Battery (site of); Brudenell Street

Please read our .

Summary

Fort/s and battery's located on late 16th, 1594, 1779, 1787, 1790 and early 19th century maps of Aldeburgh (tithe & enclosure maps not checked).

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 4651 5611 (69m by 33m)
Map sheet TM45NE
Civil Parish ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Fort/s located on late 16th, 1594, 1779, 1787, 1790 and early 19th century maps of Aldeburgh (tithe & enclosure maps not checked).
On the1779 - 1790 mapping the Fort is usually shown as semi-circular and as being just to the seaward side and a road (now Brudenell Road). By the early 19th century it is still extant (at approximately TM 4648 5610) but by the 1882 mapping has gone, with Brudenell terrace having been constructed just to its landward side. Elements may survive at subsoil level. In June 1779 it is denoted as @Battery Unservisable'. By Nov 1779 it is marked as 'Eight-Gun Battery' following the constuction of military encampments around the town.
On one of the 1594 maps the Fort is depicted as being square and more "forward" at the front of the beach (at approx TM 4653 5607), and is not shown to be parallel with the town hall, suggesting that a large portion of the beach (Fort included) was submerged and the fort rebuilt further from the sea line by 1790 (S1).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Cartographic materials: Old suffolk coastal maps.. See historic maps files.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 14 2013 3:19PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.