Monument record ORF 002 - Broad Street (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4227 4973 (152m by 169m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ruined walls of priory of Austin Friars. Founded 1295, rebuilt and enlarged in 1337 after the buildling was destroyed by lightning in 1363, dissolved 1538 (S1)(R1)(R2).
1961: TM 4219 4977 C13/C14 green glaze face jug fragment found (S2).
1968: TM 4220 4976 Jug neck, buff ware found (S2).
1980s: Walls observed by Bob Carr (S3). For further remains of walls probably part of priory see ORF 033 & 035.
Sept 1995: monitoring at 74 Broad Street recorded crag & mortar walling from precinct wall and internal structure. Also recorded about 1m PMed made ground above Med layers (see ORF 035 and S5).
Mapping revised to extend S from Broad Street and West from Quay Street to reflect rectangular walled area shown on 19th century OS maps. Also see map of 1588 by Appleton which appears to delineate a larger area extending further west (S4).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM44NW2, 1977.
- <R1> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH Suffolk, 2, 130.
- <R2> SSF10355 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (1st ed). Knowles & Hadcock, Med Relig Houses, 1953, 201.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 961-116 & 968-15.
- <S3> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SAU, Carr R D.
- <S4> SSF50262 Cartographic materials: Map. Appleton, map of Aldeburgh, Orford, the Ness, Alde and Ore, 1588, SRO (Ipswich), P447/5.
- <S5> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Carr RD (SCCAS),Sept 1995, notated plan & section.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 23 2012 12:40PM