Building record ORF 003 - St Bartholomews Church
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4222 4998 (42m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Church of St Bartholomew. Chancel of Norman circular piers; transepts disappeared, 6 bays (in ruin); nave, N & S aisles, W tower, all decorated (S1) and S porch.
Church apparently a part of the formal plan of the town, placed at the other (W) end of the long market place from the castle. The building dates of the castle 1165-1167 (S1), and the church's chancel 1166 (S1), confirms this. C14 floor tiles, six decorated, embedded in church tower (S3)(S4).
Church formerly recorded as ORF 015 (CRN 03916).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The Buildings of England, Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF46474 (No record type): APs: ARE 13-14.
- <S2> SSF18911 (No record type): SAU, APs ARE 13-14, 1983.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card L.1971-3.
- <S4> SSF21201 (No record type): Sherlock D & Keen L, (Tiles), PSIA, 32, 1971, (2), 198-199.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 13 2022 11:09AM