Monument record GED 001 - St Andrew's Church (site of); Gedgrave Hall (barn)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4043 4867 (44m by 60m)|
|Civil Parish||GEDGRAVE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
St Andrew's Church (site of). There are no recorded Domesday churches for the parish of Gedgrave but it is thought to be documented as one of the churches in the parish of Boyton (S4).
Six skeletons found ? near site of chapel standing in C17. Reported 1969 by R Starmer. Information per D Sherlock (S1).
Church erected before 1171 when it was a Vicarage of Butley Priory, it fell into disrepair at the Dissolution and was dismantled circa 1550 (S3).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM44NW6.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 10, 1898, 94.
- <S3> SSF1246 (No record type): Blatchly J & Northeast P, The lost & ruined churches of Suffolk in H M Cautley, Suffolk Churches, (5.
- <S4> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, Domesday Churches.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 18 2012 1:26PM