Monument record BUT 011 - Field N of Broom Covert
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3709 4963 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BUTLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (12)
- HEARTH (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- HUT CIRCLE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Undated)
- HOUSE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- ROUND BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW? (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- RING DITCH? (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- RING DITCH? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- RING DITCH? (Unknown date)
Hearths, ditches, circular ditch with "porch". Early IA /Late BA type pottery with slashed rims, vertical scoring, impressed finger decoration. Found in SW corner of field.
`When deep ploughed in 1952 three large ring ditches were discernible, black against the yellow subsoil. The rings were in a row, the central one being most complete, measuring sixty feet in diameter with two smaller arcs forming an entrance' (porch). `The ditch was approximately two feet six inches across. The interior of the circle contained six hearth sites and these contained, as did the ditch itself, typical Iron Age `A' sherds of the flat rimmed situla type. Hearth sites also occurred in the area round about the circles but some of these are probably storage pits; the site not yet having been excavated (S1). Pottery (cf West Harling type ware - (R1)) & spindle whorl described in (S1).
April 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The site of a possible round barrow is visible on aerial photographs on land to the north of Broom Covert, Butley. This feature may relate to one or more of the ‘three large ring ditches’ described above, but has been recorded separately as it was unclear (SHER BUT 077).
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 22nd April 2015.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2019 8:35PM