Monument record BUT 014 - Field N of Clump Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3655 4983 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BUTLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Nineteen hearths, two ditches, IA 'A' pottery.
Two site plans drawn by S E West dated February 1955, showing ditches and hearths held at IPSMG (S3).
The `Clump Road' site `consisted of at least twenty-four hearths, two large patches of dark earth of undefinable outline, and two small ditches intersecting the area, following the contours of the slope. A fragment of a handbrick was recovered from Hearth 20'. A complete well made carinated bead-rimmed vessel with two pairs of incised cordons above the central carination was recovered from hearth 12 (fig 14.2) and other pottery & `handbrick' (briquetage?) from hearths & ditches. S ditch sectioned (fig 16)(S4).
For further possible salt making site & briquetage, see BUT 017.
May 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
It was not possible to positively identify any of the features described above from the available aerial photographs, however, there is a possibility that archaeological cropmarks are visible within the same field on one set of photographs (S5). Since the cropmarks were so indistinct and fragmentary they have not been mapped, however.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 6th May2015.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 955-18, 1955.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM34NE1,.
- <S3> SSF9807 (No record type): IPSMG, field plans M51, M146.
- <S4> SSF22968 (No record type): West S E, "The Archaeology of the Butley Region", Ms, 1954, 13-15, map, fig 16, fig 14.2, fig 17.
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/832 RS 4098-4099 23-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by IPSMG (Smedley N & West S E) (Ref: IPSMG (Smedley N & West S E)) (ESF15022)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by IPSMG (Ref: IPSMG) (ESF12287)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34NE. Mapping Block 2: Bromeswell to Rendlesham. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23196)
Record last edited
Apr 1 2016 2:35PM