Monument record NDG 007 - Church of St Mary (Naughton)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0223 4893 (68m by 63m)|
|Civil Parish||NEDGING-WITH-NAUGHTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The church of St Mary is within diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, archdeaconry of Ipswich, deanery of Hadleigh. Status: rectory (S1). The structure is: chancel, nave, S porch, W tower (without buttresses). The architectural style of the building is Decorated. The windows of the chancel are early, the E window has intersected tracery. The nave contains an arched and cusped C14 piscina and a 2-light window in the S wall with plate tracery and a cusped lancet. The nave roof is a good example of a C14 king post roof. It has tie-beams with braces springing from buttressed wall posts. The king posts are octagonal with moulded bases and caps from which the braces spring to a longitudinal collar runner. The font is Norman and originally had a square bowl with interlaced arcading on all the faces. The angles were rudely cut off in later Med times so the bowl is now an octagon and the faces are alternately plain and ornamented. In 1953 some wall paintings were discovered on the N wall of the nave. The largest of these was identified as St Christopher with the Christ child. The tower arch is triple-chamfered and ties into the imposts. The tower is low, square and embattled and of flint construction. The S porch is wooden with open sides. It retains the C14 cusped barge-board to the roof (S2).
In 1873 the chancel was restored, re-seated and paved with encaustic tiles. In 1893 the body of the church was restored and the W gallery and pews removed in favour of benches. Another restoration took place in 1906 (S2).
- <S1> SSF20758 (No record type): SAU, Suff Parishes, a guide to their archaeol and hist, 1984-1985, ms.
- <R1> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. Cautley H, Suffolk Churches, 1937, 334.
- <S2> SSF17927 (No record type): SAU (Atkinson R G), Summary of Doc sources for churches in Suff, 1986 ms.
- <R2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 267, plate.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 13 1989 12:00AM