Monument record FEX 064 - Landguard Fort Pre 1720
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2846 3190 (164m by 166m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Landguard Fort. First built 1543 on Landguard point was an earthen sconce, this is thought to have been lost due to coastal erosion. This was dismantled in 1552 and reconstructed in 1588. A new fort was built in 1625, of turves and designed by Simon van Cranfeld (S1), as a square with square angle bastions. At this time the coastal bateries were made permament and a defensive rampart and ditch was constructed. Repairs were carried out in 1662.The fort was Strengthend in 1665 at the start of the second Dutch War and to the design by Sir Bernard de Gomme, these modifications were not completed until late in the 17th century, although the modifications made by 1667 were sufficient for 500 men under captain Nathaniel darrell to repel an attempted Dutch invasion (S1). In 1716 the fort was deemed in a poor state and it was decided to demolish and replace it, see FEX 064 post 1720.
See FEX 162 for the excavation to identify the 17th century defences (S2 S3).
- <S1> SSF54491 Unpublished document: Millward J. 2007. An Assessment of the East Coast Martello Towers.
- <S2> SSF54311 Article in serial: Meredith, J... 2008. Excavation at Landguard Fort: an investigation of the 17th century defences. Post-Medieval Archaeology, Vol. 42(2), pp.229-275.
- <s3> SSF51069 Unpublished document: Meredith J,. 2001. Archaeological Excavation Report, Languard Research Excavation, Felixstowe.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 21 2012 8:26AM