Farmstead record ISA 012 - Farmstead: St Andrew's Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3883 8680 (52m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||ST ANDREW, ILKETSHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
St Andrew's Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid in a regular E-plan with the farmhouse detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact with conversion for residential use.
A 17th C brick threshing barn with two attached cornholes. The barn retains a number of original features includingd diamond shaped ventilation holes. Two timber-framed wings were added to the barn in the 18th C and appear to have been used as cart sheds. The farmstead is a good example of the transition from non-mechanical to machine led agriculture (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54644 Unpublished document: Sillwood, R.. 2011. Archaeological Assessment of St Andrew's Hall Barn, Ringsfield Road, Ilketshall St Andrew, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 7 2019 10:14AM