Monument record SMR 004 - Church of All Saints
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9989 4679 (93m by 73m)|
|Civil Parish||SEMER, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
This church is in the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Ipswich and the deanery of Hadleigh. Status: rectory (S1). The structure is: chancel, nave, vestry, S porch, W tower (S2). The style of the architecture is chiefly Perpendicular. In 1855 the chancel contained some remains of early work and a good three-light window at the E end. In 1873 the chancel was renewed. The nave and the tower are remnants of the old fabric of the church which was mainly Perpendicular. The tower is square and of flints. The font is C14 and Early English: it is stone and square with the corners cut off. It stands in a pew on the N side. The S porch is small, wooden and C15; in 1899 it was restored (S2). In 1873 the chancel was rebuilt: it was paved with encaustic tiles and seated with oak benches, which have carved ends. All the windows were rebuilt and filled with coloured glass. The vestry and oak pulpit were added. The general fabric was restored. In 1899 the interior of the church was improved and new seats provided. The S porch (formerly a wooden Decorated structure with a good verge-board) was rebuilt (S2).
- <S1> SSF20777 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeol and hist, 1984-1985, ms.
- <R1> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. Cautley H, Suffolk Churches, 1937, 345.
- <S2> SSF17924 (No record type): SAU (Atkinson R G), Summ of Doc Sources for Churches in Suff, 1986, ms.
- <R2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 317, plate.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2012 12:24PM