Monument record IPS 469 - Albion Wharf, Ipswich, (IAS 6406).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1657 4407 (118m by 56m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
2004: Desk based assessment, (S1).
2005: Two trenches were excavated. Complex well-stratified multi-period deposits were recorded in the western part of the site, beginning at just 0.5m below the existing ground surface. These included two post-medieval wells, a single length of late medieval/early post-medieval septaria built wall and the remains of a possible cobbled surface of 13th-14th century date. A substantial amount of dumping and reclamation activity (principally dating to the 13th/14th centuries) was also recorded in this part of the site. In the eastern part of the site a substantial (at least 19 piles) wooden structure was recorded in unexpectedly deep 'river mud' deposits. This has been interpreted as a probable pier or jetty-type structure within an inlet of some kind that was previously unknown. Its date was extremely difficult to determine but the balance of evidence suggests that it was late medieval. An earlier peat deposit (0.75m thick) was also recorded, but could not be dated. Definite natural subsoil was not located in this eastern part of the site at -0.9m AOD, which was c. 1.5m deeper than anticipated. All the archaeological deposits encountered were well preserved, largely untruncated and quite shallow, lying immediately beneath the extant slab. Consequently, a programme of open area excavation was recommended in a band c. 25m wide parallel to the Key Street frontage, with archaeological monitoring recommended elsewhere further out into the former river channel (S2).
See also (S3, S4).
Post 2005: Excavation plans and mapinfo on record. Report waiting, assumed because of funding issues.
- <S1> SSF54813 Unpublished document: Gardner, R. 2004. Desk Based Assessment, Albion Wharf (Land Between Key Street and Star Lane), Ipswich.
- <S2> SSF54814 Unpublished document: Gardner, R. 2005. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Albion Wharf Evaluation, Ipswich.
- <S3> SSF55367 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 2005. Archaeology in Suffolk 2004. XXXXI (1).
- <S4> SSF55368 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 2006. Archaeology in Suffolk 2005. XXXXI (2).
- FSF36406: SHOE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36407: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF36408: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF36409: BRICK (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF36410: BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36411: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36412: MORTAR (VESSEL) (13th century to 14th century - 1200 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF36413: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF41193: BRICK (13th century to 15th century - 1200 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF41194: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF41195: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (13th century - 1200 AD to 1299 AD)
- FSF41196: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (IPS: Middle Saxon to 13th century - 800 AD to 1299 AD)
- FSF41197: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF41198: ROOF TILE (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF41199: OYSTER SHELL (Undated)
- FSF41200: BURNT FLINT (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Albion Wharf, Ipswich, (IAS 6406). (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-9408) (ESF24941)
- Event - Survey: Desk Based Assessment, Albion Wharf (Land Between Key Street and Star Lane), Ipswich, (IAS 6406). (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-9410) (ESF21838)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Albion Wharf, Ipswich, (IAS 6406). (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-9408) (ESF21837)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Albion Wharf, Ipswich, (IAS 6406) (ESF23857)
Record last edited
Jul 11 2017 8:52AM