Monument record LCS 163 - Garretts Iron Foundry; Long Shop Museum
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4443 6254 (321m by 453m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- ENGINEERING WORKS (18th century to 20th century - 1778 AD? to 1900 AD)
- IRON WORKS (18th century to Early 20th century - 1778 AD to 1920 AD)
- RAILWAY (19th century to Early 20th century - 1859 AD? to 1927 AD?)
- WATER TOWER (19th century to 20th century - 1850 AD to 1999 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Early 20th century to Late 20th century - 1913 AD? to 1999 AD?)
- MUSEUM (20th century to 21st century - 1900 AD? to 2013 AD)
Iron foundry of Richard Garrett & Sons Ltd. Founded 1778. Once employed nearly 1000 men but closed about 1920. Part survives as The Long Shop Museum (LB II*). Said to have been the second most important iron foundry in Suffolk. In 1804 they started to manufacture John Ball's threshing machine, and in 1840 portable steam-engines. They eventually became the third largest manufacturer of agricultural steam-engines in the UK (S1).
Mapping in HBSMR after 1880 and early 1900s OS mapping and includes water tower of c1850 and Engine House of circa 1913 (both LB Gd II) and former spurs off main railway line, some of which survive as footpaths/droves.
- <S1> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Lane M, 'Iron Foundries, 1789-1900', 150-151 (map) & 214.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2013 3:50PM