Monument record SBC 014 - Church of St John the Baptist
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7410 4334 (90m by 86m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Church of St John the Baptist, C15 building with C14 tower from earlier church.
A C16 wall painting of the Last Judgement was uncovered during 1947/1948, which had been whitewashed at the Reformation and Elizabethan texts had then been superimposed, parts of which also remain (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCV, 11.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S2> SSF3508 (No record type): Chronicle & Mercury, 9th January 1947.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 350.
- <S4> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Domesday Churches', 3rd ed, 1999, map 21.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2009 5:18PM