Farmstead record MDS 164 - Farmstead: Oak Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1113 6407 (122m by 106m)|
|Civil Parish||MENDLESHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- THRESHING BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COACH HOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COW HOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COVERED YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STOREHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Range of 19th C brick agricultural buildings in the grounds of a 16/17th C farmhouse. During the 1880s the original farm buildings were demolished and a completely new, planned and single farm building was constucted to accommodate all the farm uses. This building therefore provides a good example of a late agricultural building and shows how this farmstead evolved.
There is a central threshing barn, with a stable and coach house, all covered with a queen strut roof. There is also a cow shed, covered yard and store room. During the 20th C a milking parlour was constructed through raising the height of the walls of a range of cattle sheds. The barn was also used for milling feed and for housing cattle during the 20th C (S1).
Oak Farm, Mendlesham. Partially extant 19th century farmstead with listed 16th century farmhouse. Full regular courtyard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. There has been partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. Located within a loose farmhouse cluster (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF55082 Unpublished document: Craddock, A.. 2012. Farm Buildings at Oak Farm, Mendlesham.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SSF59180 Map: 1839. Mendlesham Tithe Map.
- <S7> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2019 10:15AM