Farmstead record GLL 029 - Farmstead: Sink Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3535 5839 (136m by 190m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE GLEMHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- THRESHING BARN (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- CART SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
Sink Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed OS map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with additional L-plan and detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with moderns sheds on site.
2012: 18th C timber-framed and weatherbaorded threshing barn. The barn re-uses 16th century material, likely to have come from Glemham Hall during a phase of remodelling. A brick 19th C cartshed is also present at the site and documentary evidence shows that an earlier barn, granary and stable at the site were demolished during the 20th C, at which time a number of other buildings were constructed (S1) (S2).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S1> SSF55085 Unpublished document: Belton, B.. 2012. Heritage Statement: Sink Farm Barn, Church Road, Little Glemham.
- <S2> SSF57018 Unpublished document: Belton, B.. 2012. Structural Appraisal: Sink Farm Barn, Church Road, Little Glemham, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Ip13 0BJ.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2019 3:05PM