Monument record CHF 037 - Site of deer park at Chillesford.

Please read our .


Deer park first recorded 1601. Chillsford Lodge possibly associated.


Grid reference Centred TM 399 510 (617m by 323m) Approximate
Map sheet TM35SE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Deer park listed by Hoppitt, first recorded 1601 (S1)(S2). Chillsford Lodge possibly associated.
Chillesford lodge and area of woodland marked on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S3) and 1st edition OS map (S4).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks 1086-1600', 66-7.
  • <S3> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
  • <S4> Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 9 2022 11:52PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.